The Gay Valedictorian Banned From Speaking At His Covington High School Graduation Not Shocked At Video

The same Catholic Diocese that oversees Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky, home to the students that harassed Native American Nathan Phillips over the weekend, also banned openly gay valedictorian Christian Bales’ speech at the High School of the Holy Cross last May.

Bales is now a 19 year-old freshman at the University of Louisville, according to NBC News. Bales spoke to them about his own graduation and the recent viral video putting Covington back in the national spotlight. “I was not surprised at all,” Bales said. “It was only a matter of time that something this school community did would blow up to this degree, and I think they [the Catholic Diocese of Covington] need to be held accountable.”

“They have the very last say in everything about students in the diocese,” Bales said, adding that the diocese has still not provided him and the student council president with “thorough explanations” of why their speeches were canceled last year.

A visit to the Diocese website only feature a letter about the incident in Washington that says in part:

Concerning the incident in Washington, D.C., between Covington Catholic students, Elder Nathan Phillips and Black Hebrew Israelites the independent, third-party investigation is planned to begin this week. This is a very serious matter that has already permanently altered the lives of many people. It is important for us to gather the facts that will allow us to determine what corrective actions, if any, are appropriate. 

You can watch part of Bales’ Valedictorian speech below.

The post The Gay Valedictorian Banned From Speaking At His Covington High School Graduation Not Shocked At Video appeared first on Towleroad Gay News.

Gay mayor Peter Buttigieg announces 2020 presidential campaign

Pete_Buttigieg_Official_Portrait running for president

Openly gay mayor Peter Buttigieg has announced he will be running for president in 2020.

Buttigieg, currently mayor of South Bend, Indiana, announced on Wednesday (22 January) that he is forming an exploratory committee to run for president for the Democratic Party.

He says his campaign will focus on ‘intergenerational justice’.

‘My generation is the generation that experienced school shootings beginning when I was in high school, the generation that fought in the post 9/11 wars, the first generation not to be better off than our parents materially – if nothing changes.’

He also appears to take a swipe at President Donald Trump’s mantra, Make America Great Again.

He adds: ‘There is no again the real world. We can’t look for greatness in the past. Right now our country needs a fresh start.

‘There’s a new generation of voices emerging in our country, walking away from the politics of the past and ready to deliver on our priorities. There is no again in the real world. That’s not a bad thing. We’re ready for a fresh start.’

The youngest candidate

The 37-year-old is the joint youngest candidate to enter the race, alongside Representative Tulsi Gabbard. He is a veteran of the Navy and is married to his husband Chasten.

Buttieg was elected mayor in 2011 at the age of 29, making him the youngest person ever to serve as mayor of South Bend.

In 2017, he ran for Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairman, but was unsuccessful.

Other Democrats who have expressed intent or formed exploratory committees include Senator Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gilibrand and Kamala Harris.

See also: 

Kamala Harris officially announces bid for US presidency in 2020 election

Homophobic comments coming back to haunt Democratic presidential hopeful

US Vice President’s wife, Karen Pence, starts work at anti-LGBTI school

Author: Tom Capon

The post Gay mayor Peter Buttigieg announces 2020 presidential campaign appeared first on Gay Star News.

Bryan Singer Faces New Sexual Assault Claims in Exposé Revealing Horrific Details of Alleged Incidents

The Atlantic has published the results of a year-long investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct by director Bryan Singer and said it spoke with more than 50 sources, including four who are being heard for the first time.

Writes The Atlantic: ‘The accusations against Singer cover a spectrum. Some of the alleged victims say they were seduced by the director while underage; others say they were raped. The victims we interviewed told us these experiences left them psychologically damaged, with substance-abuse problems, depression, and PTSD. The portrait of Singer that emerges is of a troubled man who surrounded himself with vulnerable teenage boys, many of them estranged from their families. Their accounts suggest that Singer didn’t act alone; he was aided by friends and associates who brought him young men. And he was abetted, in a less direct way, by an industry in which a record of producing hits confers immense power: Many of the sources we interviewed insisted, out of fear of damaging their own career, that we withhold their name, even as they expressed dismay at the behavior they’d witnessed.’

Singer attempted to preempt a damaging article (he said it would be published in Esquire) last October, writing on Instagram: “I have known for some time that [there may be] a negative article about me. They have contacted my friends, colleagues and people I don’t even know. In today’s climate where people’s careers are being harmed by mere accusations, what [these reporters are] attempting to do is a reckless disregard for the truth, making assumptions that are fictional and irresponsible.”

The Wrap reported: ‘A person close to Singer told TheWrap that while they have not seen the Esquire article, the magazine did reach out for comment. They declined. The person told us they were not given quotes from the piece, though the questions were “clear enough” to see where the article “was going.” This person told us they believe Max Potter is the reporter writing the piece, which Singer’s camp expects will be in the November issue of Esquire magazine, which should hit newsstands this week.’

The Atlantic article was penned by Potter and Alex French.

The Atlantic article makes specific note of two people they spoke to in its introduction: “A man we’ll call Eric told us that he was 17 in 1997 when he and Singer had sex at a party at the director’s house; another we’ll call Andy says he was only 15 that same year, when he and Singer had sex in a Beverly Hills mansion. Both men say Singer, who was then in his early 30s, knew they were under 18, the age of consent in California. (They asked The Atlantic to conceal their identity for fear of retaliation, and because they didn’t want certain details about their past made public.)”

The magazine spoke with Victor Valdovinos, who said Singer molested him at 13 on the set of the film Apt Pupil, which was also the subject of lawsuits which were settled that claimed actors and extras were bullied into appearing naked in a shower scene.

Another alleged victim, “Ben”, described parties held by singer at his house in the Mar Vista section of L.A. allegedly attended by lots of underage boys. Ben said he was “passed around” by many of the men in Singer’s circle and that Singer and he had oral sex: “He would stick his hands down your pants without your consent. He was predatory in that he would ply people with alcohol and drugs and then have sex with them.” 

“Andy” said he had sex with Singer at the age of 14 at a party held at the home of Marc Collins-Rector and Chad Shackley, the founders of a start-up called DEN Entertainment, and Apt Pupil star Brad Renfro was in the room at the beginning of their sex session.

“Eric” detailed similar experiences he had with Singer at the age of 17, also involving the DEN owners’ estate. The article notes: “In August 2000, a federal grand jury indicted Marc Collins-Rector on charges related to transporting a minor across state lines for the purpose of sex. Collins-Rector fled the country and was a fugitive for almost two years before being arrested in Spain, where authorities discovered a cache of weapons and 8,000 images of child pornography in the villa where he was living. He was held in a Spanish jail from May 2002 until October 2003. Upon his release, he was extradited to the United States and ultimately pleaded guilty to nine charges of transporting a minor across state lines for the purpose of sex. He was sentenced to time served in Spain plus three years of court supervision and is now a registered sex offender.”

The Atlantic article should be read in its entirety for all the lurid details. Singer has denied many of its claims through his lawyer, and they are noted in specific spots in the article.

In his Instagram post last October, Singer pointed to one example of a “bogus” lawsuit. In that suit, he was accused of the alleged rape of a 17-year-old boy at a party on a yacht in Seattle owned by tech investor Lester Waters. The alleged incident, which Singer denies, took place in 2003.

Singer was accused of sexual assault with other high-profile Hollywood figures by another man, Michael Egan, in 2014, who accused him of being part of a “Hollywood sex ring” targeting underage boys.

Egan, who was indicted in December 2014 on investment fraud charges, accused Singer, former NBC Entertainment president Garth Ancier, and three others of drugging and raping him.

Egan later dropped all four lawsuits and Egan’s attorneys Jeff Herman and Mark Gallagher dropped him.

Singer was fired in December as director on the Freddie Mercury/Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody after complaint about his erratic behavior and unreliability on set.

Singer denied those claims, saying he was suffering health issues related to the stress of caring for an ill parent.

The post Bryan Singer Faces New Sexual Assault Claims in Exposé Revealing Horrific Details of Alleged Incidents appeared first on Towleroad Gay News.